The scene:
4am in bed. Meri's in her usual place, the warmer, south side of the bed. Me, I'm uptown, on the northern extreme of the bed, close to the drafty yet very expensive single-pane window. I roll over, Meri thinks I'm awake. (Since, if you roll over you must be awake, right?).
The conversation:
Meri: You awake?
Ed: Me? No.
Meri: Well you rolled over.
Ed: So? I rolled over, but I'm still asleep.
Meri: Well, I'm just asking.
Ed: What time did he (meaning Max) wake up? (All fathers who sleep through the night need to feign interest, even if they're sleepy, it makes for a happier marriage -- trust me.)
Meri: He didn't.
Ed: (gasping) Did you see if he was breathing?
Meri: Yes.
Ed: So what's the problem?
Meri: Well, he hasn't eaten since 630pm.
Ed: Yeah?
(Meanwhile, readers, this kid eats 6+ ounces at a time, 6 times a day and is in the 90+ percentile for weight, he's healthy).
Meri: And he's been sleeping since 8pm.
Ed: Yeah? So? Isn't that what we've been waiting for?
Meri: Yeah, but it makes me nervous.
Ed: I'm sure he's fine, but when he wakes up, he's gonna scream like hell and wake up the whole building looking for the bottle.
Meri: Oh, I hear him!
Ed: Maybe you should get a bottle.
I roll over and promptly fall back asleep. Meri, she got up, prepared the bottle and stared at Max until about 520am waiting for little Mad Max to wake up. While he made a few peeps, he was generally OK.
What did we learn readers? Sleeping through the night is a scary change at first. But I think we'll get used to it quickly so long as Max does. Let's hope he keeps up the momentum tonight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Congrats my friends. A momentous occasion to be celebrated by sleeping...
ReplyDelete